Bharat Aluminium Co. Ltd. (BALCO) was incorporated in the year 1965 as a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) and since then the Company has been closely associated with the Indian Aluminium Industry, in a pivotal role.
- Government of India (GoI) divested 51% equity in the year 2001 in favour of Sterlite Industries (I) Limited. Remaining 49% is with GoI.
- BALCO is playing a crucial role in introducing Aluminium as a potential alternative to other metals like Steel in construction, and Copper in power transmission industry.
- Major operations of BALCO are in the town of Korba (Chhattisgarh), whereas its mines supplying high grade Bauxite are situated at Kawardha and Mainpat.
- The smelter capacity (installed capacity 100 KTPA), based on Soderberg Process, is being revamped to produce 345 KTPA through modern Prebake Technology.
- After disinvestment, a smelter of capacity 245 KTPA has been established in the year 2004.
- The smelter plants are being supported by uninterrupted power supply through Captive Power Plants - 270 MW at Jamnipali, Korba and 540 MW at smelter site.
- New power plant with rated capacity of 1200 MW - Two units are in operation and rest two units will commence production by the last quarter of FY15-16.
- Finishing lines are capable of producing high quality Ingots, Wire Rods, Billets, Busbars and Rolled products.
BALCO has several FIRSTS to its credit in India
- First integrated Aluminium Industry
- First to have Captive Power Plant
- First to venture into + 300 kA Prebake pots
- First to produce Alloy Rods for conductors used in power transmission industry
- First to roll material for Aerospace in the Country
- First to produce largest Billet of diameter – 800 mm, length - 6 mt
- First to set up the widest Hot Rolling Mill