BALCO has two captive Bauxite mines in Chhattisgarh state - one at Mainpat with capacity 7,50,000 TPA and another at Bodai Daldali (Kawardha) with capacity of 12,50,000 TPA.
Both the mines are situated at an elevated plateau; the area is flat and covered with soil / lateritic boulders. The Bauxite ore is available as pocket deposit with 1.5 metre average thickness and is normally available below 3 - 5 metres from ground level.
- Mining Method - Conventional Semi-mechanised Opencast Mining.
- Top Soil - Reused for backfilling and to retain fertility of land.
- Equipment Deployed - Drill, Excavator, Dumper, Rock Breaker, Dozer and Water Sprinkler.
- Winning of Bauxite - Drilling, Blasting and Manual Sorting/ Sizing. Only wet drilling is deployed.
- Reclamation - Mining and backfilling executed concurrently.
- Reclaimed area is afforested to cover the exposed land with greenery.
- Original topography is retained.
- Afforestation - Plantation of manifold local species has increased the green density in the surrounding landscape.
- Water Harvesting – Pre-determined mined out areas converted to ponds.
- Environment Conservation – Pre-defined and systematic design of Garland Drains, Check Dams, Parapet Walls, development of Green Belt.
- Wildlife Conservation in association with State Government.
- Zero accident record for last five years.
- All mining activities and pollution prevention mitigation measures undertaken as per the stipulated guidelines of various governing agencies.
Resettlement & Rehabilitation of mines displaced families
- Benchmark Resettlement and Rehabilitation (R & R) for Project Affected Families.
- Facilities provided for rehabilitated villages are unique.