BALCO Safety Management
BALCO Health Safety and Environment (HSE) Management Systems have ingrained a safety culture in the Organisation with all safety processes in place, to implement an effective Incident Prevention Programme. The Company is certified to ISO-9001, OHSAS – 18001(2007) and ISO–14001. These systems have built an environment that emphasises on employee’s involvement in Safety Management and the fact that ownership of safety lies with the line functions.
- Company has engaged M/s DuPont for survey of facilities to improve Behavioural Safety and adopted the British Safety Council model to incorporate the best OH&S Management System.
- WSO (Work Safe Online) Software is being used for the safety related information viz. hazards, incidents and near misses, to inform the area HOD and the concerned In-charge so that these are eliminated at the initial stages.
- Safety scorecard model has been adopted to review the OHS Performance of Individual SBUs by Chief Executive of the Company.
- A full-fledged Health Safety and Environment (HSE) Department of more than twenty-five employees takes care of Health, Safety and Environmental aspects of the Company.
- The Loss Time Injury Frequency Rate (No. of lost time injury per million manhours) is following a continuously decreasing trend (Viz. 2007-08 – 1.95; 2008-09 – 1.44; 2009-10 – 0.86), demonstrating continual improvement in Occupational Health and Safety Management.
BALCO has always believed that the man behind the machine is more important and therefore considers their health and well-being a valuable asset to the Company. The following facilities are available for Occupational Health related issues.
- Hundred-bed Hospital has been setup with specially trained doctors.
- Trained and qualified doctors for monitoring the occupational health of employees.
- Three first-aid centres manned round the clock with fully equipped ambulance facilities.
- An annual health check-up programme is organised, as a part of periodic medical examination and specific medical examination.
- Health awareness programme on occupation and other programmes like yoga, health care, art of living are conducted.
- Health record of each employee is maintained by using software named PANACEA.
BALCO gives high priority on fire prevention and accordingly fire protection and detection systems have been installed across the plant and periodic monitoring of systems is ensured. The facilities incorporate:
- Fire Hydrant System
- HVWS/ MVWS System
- Smoke Detection System
- LPG Leak Detection System
- Water Spray System
- CO2 Flooding System
- FM200 System
- Sufficient fire equipment in all three fire stations
To create awareness among the employees about fire prevention and fire fighting, regular fire safety classes and various campaigns and programmes are conducted. As a part of its Corporate Social Responsibilities, BALCO always believes in rendering its services to other industries and communities too.